Safe Sanctuary Plan and forms
In accordance with the United Methodist Church, we maintain a comprehensive Safe Sanctuary policy designed to make St. Matthew’s United Methodist Church a safe, nurturing environment for all. Sadly, our modern-day world demands that we protect children and other vulnerable persons from abuse, be it emotional, physical, sexual or ritual. God calls us to make our churches safe communities of faith where children and adults grow secure and strong.
All activities for children sanctioned by SMUMC are strengthened and protected by our Safe Sanctuary policy. All adults who work with our children are required to receive orientation in this important initiative.
St. Matthew’s Documentation:
- St. Matthew’s Safe Sanctuary Policy
- St. Matthew’s Child Abuse Prevention Policy
- St. Matthew’s Policy on Harrassment and Abuse
Other links of interest:
- Baltimore-Washington Conference Safe Sanctuary Page: http://www.bwcumc.org/resources/safe-sanctuary-faqs
- United Methodist Church, General Board of Disciples, Safe Sanctuary Page: http://www.gbod.org/lead-your-church/safe-sanctuaries
- Safe Sanctuaries®: Reducing the Risk of Abuse in the Church for Children and Youth and Safe Sanctuaries® for Children and Youth DVD: Reducing the Risk of Abuse in the Church were developed through the General Board of Discipleship of The United Methodist Church, and written by Joy T. Melton. The book includes: Information on recruiting, screening, and hiring workers with children and youth, Guidelines for developing policies and procedures, Training models, Suggestions for congregational response to allegations of abuse, Sample forms and guides.
- Safe Sanctuaries practices at United Methodist Churches Video, Produced by United Methodist Communications: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vec05iKTW4